Hi Bob, looks good  (I am not a Reviewer however) !

The reported issues occured on a  SUSE Linux 12 SP1 system ,  where

/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset/cpuset.effective_cpus     and
/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset/cpuset.effective_mems    are  not present .

I applied  Bobs patch ,  now  the  jdk/internal/platform/docker  -  jtreg
tests do not fail any more on the mentioned system .

Thanks, Matthias