Hi Jc, David, Chris,

  >> Is this not a test that's failing due to a real bug?

I would not consider this a bug, but rather a limitation. I don't see a way to
work around it in the TestScaffold, though (looking at [1]).

So an enhancement would have to happen in the jdi implementation. To me it does
not seem worth the effort. I'd say the tracing is not necessary for regression
testing. In the case of a test error where all that output is required, I'd
start the debuggee in a shell and do the debugging manually.

Regarding -Xcomp: makes a lot of sense for tests that are indifferent about the
execution mode. The test at hand triggers compilation of the central test
method. It does not help that much, to compile everything else, too.

Anyway, here is another webrev without excluding -Xcomp:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rrich/webrevs/2018/8213902/webrev.02/

I'd prefer the original webrev, because it's greener ;)

I would need a sponsor, too. Please take either one of the patches.

Thanks for reviewing,
Richard.

[1] Debugger stack

java.lang.Object.wait(long) line: not available [native method]
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper(java.lang.Object).wait() line: 328
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper.launchAndAccept() line: 197
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher(com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher).launch(java.lang.String[],
 java.lang.String, com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService$ListenKey,
com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService) line: 140
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher.launch(java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?
 extends com.sun.jdi.connect.Connector.Argument>) line: 229
VMConnection.launchTarget() line: 314
VMConnection.open() line: 149
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).connect(java.lang.String[]) line: 637
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startUp(java.lang.String) line: 364
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTo(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.lang.String) line: 374
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startToMain(java.lang.String) line:
369
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.runTests() line: 132
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTests() line: 431
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.main(java.lang.String[]) line: 120