On 17/11/2018 1:32 am, Reingruber, Richard wrote:
Hi David,

I would like to pass -XX args mainly to the debuggee which is launched by
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative. There's no need to run SetLocalWhileThreadInNative
in another vm.

Sorry Richard I misread the driver line and didn't notice that these are actually "application" args that the test then uses for its internal launch of the debuggee.

Do you think this is a misuse?

Thanks for looking at the patch,
Richard.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com>
Sent: Freitag, 16. November 2018 05:43
To: Reingruber, Richard <richard.reingru...@sap.com>;
serviceability-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: RFR(XXS): 8213902: com/sun/jdi/SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.java
times out

Hi Richard,

I think your test is misusing @driver. If you want to pass -XX args you
should be using "@run main/othervm"

Otherwise turning off the Print* flags seems reasonable, but removing
Xcomp as well seems unnecessary.

Cheers,
David

On 16/11/2018 8:32 am, Reingruber, Richard wrote:
Hi,

could I please get reviews for the following small patch? It fixes a bug in the
test
com/sun/jdi/SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.java that causes a deadlock when
executed with
-vmoption:-Xcomp.

Deadlock:

Debuggee (SetLocalWhileThreadInNativeTarget):
    - running with -Xcomp
    - still in early start-up
    - printed a lot on tty already, because -XX:+PrintCompilation
-XX:+PrintInlining are given
    - java thread waits for compiler thread to finish compile task
    - compiler thread is blocked in write on tty. tty buffer is full, because
debugger is not yet
      reading debuggee's output

Debugger
    - waiting until connection to debugger is established

The fix is to remove -XX:+PrintCompilation -XX:+PrintInlining. In addition it
excludes the test if
running with -Xcomp, because that mode does not add a lot of value, as the test
actually only needs
dontinline_testMethod() to be compiled. Running with -Xcomp just wastes energy.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rrich/webrevs/2018/8213902/webrev.01/
Bug:    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8213902

The contribution needs to be sponsored as well, please.

Thanks, Richard.