Hi all,

(I combine my replies  here, since most of your feedback was similar).

Thank you all for the feedback!

If I understand you correctly, the consensus is that you do not wish
to introduce another data collection backend beside JFR. And that,
should JFR lack features we miss, we rather improve JFR instead of
adding a second solution.

That makes sense. I understand this, and yes, I agree. So I withdraw
my proposal.

--

But I still would like to be able to do what I can do with my patch.
Since I withdraw it, I am curious how a feature like that would be

1 Monitoring key values as described in the proposal - see the linked
example printouts - covering long time periods, at least short term
periods in high resolution (which means some sort of automatic
downsampling to keep memory cost low)

2 being able to leave that statistic always on. This part is really
important: our statistical history being on-by-default made a big
difference to our support, saving a lot of back-and-forth between
customers and us, and thus a lot of time and headache. In order to be
always-on, a replacement implementation should be really cheap and
robust. Note that we found our statistical history especially useful
in low-memory/cpu situations (e.g. in containers) - but there,
pressure to switch every non-essential feature off to shave off a bit
of memory cost is high. Being cheap really helps with these arguments.

3 very often we used our statistic during post-mortem analysis. It
gets dumped as part of the hs-err file in case of an error. For this
to be the monitoring must be robust and should have as little
dependencies into the VM as possible, to avoid circular errors in
error handling. Also, avoiding dynamic memory allocation and to
allocate its memory upfront, to harden it in the face of native OOMs.

Note that (3) is a bit of a stretch goal. Solutions which are not that
robust during error reporting can still be useful in many cases, but
now and then you will hit "Error during error reporting" instead of
getting the historical data.

But Erik indicated that JFR is routinely used in post mortem analysis
at Oracle. So maybe all my points are already fulfilled by the
existing implementation? If not, would it be possible to adapt JFR to
make such a statistic possible? I'm willing to help if JFR is the way
to go.

--

Note that I still think that there is some value in my proposed patch:
for older releases.

There, JFR/JMC does not exist, so this history feature could be really
useful. I was actually hoping to downport this feature to older
releases once it were to hit JDK12 mainline. But since we now decided
not to upstream it that door is barred.

So, in order to preserve this possibility at least to other downstream
OpenJDK maintainers, I put these patches (based on 8u/11u) up:
https://github.com/tstuefe/ojdk-stathist-patch . Maybe they are still
useful to someone.

Thank you all, and Best Regards,

Thomas