Hi David,

On 12/3/18 2:14 AM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Patricio,

On 1/12/2018 2:31 am, Patricio Chilano wrote:
Hi David,

On 11/29/18 8:05 PM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Patricio,

This seems very complicated and I'm not quite seeing how it all goes together. The check for waiting to re-lock now seems to dominant the test and obscure the original checks.

I'm not sure this is worthwhile in the context of this test. It might be much simpler to just get rid of the existing "waiting to re-lock" check which will not be seen and then if we really want to check that case add a much simpler form that just checks for that.
Ok, I actually had similar thoughts while I was adding the extra code. Here is the new webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pchilanomate/8214148.02/webrev/

I removed the check for the "waiting to re-lock" case.

Good - the more I look at this test the more I see the "waiting to re-lock" case is just not relevant to it.

The addition of the code to wait until the target thread is in the right state seems good.

I'm unclear on some of the changes to the checking code in analyzeThreadStackWaiting. It seems you removed the code that watched for finding the wrong monitor and replaced that with a call to assertMonitorInfo. But the latter is passed the address you got from the MonitorInfo in the first place so the check of the address is never going to fail. ??
I just replaced that "if-else" with assertMonitorInfo() because the same check "monInfo.getType().equals("waiting on") && compareMonitorClass(monInfo)" will be done in assertMonitorInfo() and the error case is also doing the same, so the code gets simplified. Yes, the extra address check will never fail.

That said you can't be waiting on two monitors so I don't see how we can ever have the wrong one ??
I'm not sure why this test is checking for the monitor address in assertMonitorInfo(). The only case where I see it could fail is for the RUN_METHOD case if the address is null, but that has a separate check before assertMonitorInfo(). Maybe at some point the test had more monitors, because there was also that "for" loop checking for the "waiting to re-lock in wait()" case. I can remove the test "monInfo.getMonitorAddress().equals(monitorAddress)" in assertMonitorInfo() but I don't think it hurts to keep it.

A few minor style nits:

Pre-existing:

54             //Notify the waiting thread, so it stops waiting and sleeps

Please add a space after //

 106         // Start athread that just waits

s/athread/a thread/

 145                     throw new RuntimeException(OBJECT_WAIT
 146                             + " method has to contain one lock record but it contains " + mi.getLocks().size());

Indentation is wrong - the '+' should align with the O in OBJECT. Break into three lines (at second + if needed)

New:

154                 if(mi.getLocks().size() == 1){

Space after "if", and space before {

 157                 else{

Space before {

158                     throw new RuntimeException(RUN_METHOD + " method has to contain one lock record but it contains "  159                                                             + mi.getLocks().size());

Incorrect indentation - '+' should align with R in RUN
Done!
I'm not sure if it's okay to keep the change to serviceability/tmtools/jstack/utils/DefaultFormat.java then. It doesn't really affect this test, but it is needed for jstack to detect the locks that appear in the stack report with the message "waiting to re-lock in wait()".

I'd probably revert that change at this stage.
Done!

Here is the new webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pchilanomate/8214148.03/webrev/

Thanks,
Patricio

Patricio
To me the simplest way to see the "re-lock in wait" case is to just:

synchronized(obj) {
   obj.notifyAll();
   <= take stack dump here =>
}