On 3/1/19 6:36 AM, Chris Plummer wrote:
On 2/28/19 5:07 PM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Dmitry,

On 1/03/2019 6:15 am, Dmitry Chuyko wrote:
Hello,

Please review a small fix for GCC 8.x warning in log_messages.c. Buffer sizes for parts of timestamp string can be adjusted to not exceed maximum buffer size when combined, while being able to hold necessary information.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dchuyko/8214854/webrev.00/
testing: after the fix GCC 8 compiles working OpenJDK on Linux. Dev-submit job started.

This looks good.

One query:

 51 typedef char timestamp_buffer[TIMESTAMP_SIZE];

Is this needed so that the size of the buffer is known by gcc inside get_time_stamp? (Generally I prefer to see explicitly when an array is being stack allocated, not have it hidden behind a typedef.)
This also caught my attention and then got me thinking on what basis is gcc producing the warning in the first place. The warning is:

 src/jdk.jdwp.agent/share/native/libjdwp/log_messages.c:75:24: error: '%.3d' directive output may be truncated writing between 3 and 11 bytes into a region of size between 0 and 80 [-Werror=format-truncation=]
                    "%s.%.3d %s", timestamp_prefix,
                        ^~~~

I think it deduced this by seeing that the call to get_time_stamp() is passing in a char[80] for the tbuf argument. It then also sees that the argument for the first %s is also a char[80] array, so is pointing out that this first %s might fill (or nearly fill) tbuf, not leaving room for the %.3d argument. If this is the case, there is no need for the timestamp_buffer typedef. The real fix was making timestamp_date_time and timestamp_timezone smaller so gcc doesn't think they can overflow tbuf.

Chris

Current signature of helper function is get_time_stamp(char *tbuf, size_t ltbuf). If we drop typedef change, this function either logically needs ltbuf parameter or it internally assumes it to be somewhat (TIMESTAMP_SIZE+1). In first case we in general should care about arbitrary ltbuf size. Like 5 or 2. In second case there are no static checks/hints that we don't pass tbuf of diferent size. So I preferred to have this information in the function signature and to use known lengths of parts: get_time_stamp(timestamp_buffer tbuf).

-Dmitry

-Dmitry