Hi Stefan,

I looked over the changes again. I like this much better, a huge
improvement over current state, and also better than your first
proposal. I also prefer the explicit value() calls.

I also built+tested Shenandoah GC again, seems all fine.

Didn't know that C++ has an 'explicit' specifier. Oh man.

Still seems to have foobared alignment (it was partly kaputted before
already):
src/hotspot/share/oops/oopsHierarchy.hpp

Out of curiosity, what's with the changes in objectMonitor.inline.hpp to
access the markWord atomically?:

-inline markOop ObjectMonitor::header() const {
-  return _header;
+inline markWord ObjectMonitor::header() const {
+  return Atomic::load(&_header);
 }

I guess this is good (equal or stronger than before) but is there a
rationale behind these changes?

I say ship it!

Thanks,
Roman