Hi Serguei,

On 27/05/2020 1:01 pm, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
Please, review a fix for:

CSR draft (one CSR reviewer is needed before finalizing it):

I have some thoughts on the wording which I will add to the CSR.

Also on reflection I think JVMTI_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ARGUMENT would the best error to use, and it has an equivalent in JDWP and at the Java level for JDI.

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2020/jvmti-stop-thread.1/src/

Updated JVM TI StopThread spec:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2020/jvmti-stop-thread.1/docs/specs/jvmti.html#StopThread

   The JVM TI StopThread method mirrored the functionality of the
  java.lang.Thread::stop(Throwable t) method, in that it allows any exception
   type to be installed as an asynchronous exception in the target thread.
  However, the java.lang.Thread::stop(Throwable t) method was inherently unsafe   and in Java 8 (under JDK-7059085) it was "retired" so that it always threw
   UnsupportedOperationException.
  The updated JVM TI StopThread spec disallows an arbitrary Throwable from being passed,   and instead restricts the argument to being an instance of ThreadDeath, thus   mirroring the (deprecated but still functional) java.lang.Thread::stop() method.   The error JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT is returned if the exception argument
   is not an instance of ThreadDeath.

   Also, I will file similar RFE and CSR on the JDI and JDWP spec.

Testing:
   Built docs and checked the doc has been generated as expected.
   Will run the nsk.jvmti tests locally.
  Will submit hs-tiers1-3 to make sure there are no regressions in the JVM TI and JDI tests.

Thanks,
Serguei