Hi David and reviewers,

The updated webrev version is:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2020/jvmti-stop-thread.2/src/

This update adds testing that StopThread can return JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT error code.

The JVM TI StopThread spec is:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2020/jvmti-stop-thread.2/docs/specs/jvmti.html#StopThread

There is a couple of comments below.

On 5/29/20 06:18, David Holmes wrote:
On 29/05/2020 6:24 pm, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
On 5/29/20 00:56, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
On 5/29/20 00:42, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
Hi David,

Thank you for reviewing this!

On 5/28/20 23:57, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Serguei,

On 28/05/2020 3:12 pm, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
Hi David,

I've updated the CSR and webrev in place.

The changes are:
  - addressed David's suggestion to rephrase StopThread description change
  - replaced JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT with JVMTI_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ARGUMENT
  - updated the implementation in jvmtiEnv.cpp to return JVMTI_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ARGUMENT
  - updated one of the nsk.jvmti StopThread tests to check error case with the JVMTI_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ARGUMENT

I'm reposting the links for convenience.

Enhancement:

CSR draft:

Spec updates are good - thanks.

Thank you for the CSR review.

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2020/jvmti-stop-thread.1/src/

src/hotspot/share/prims/jvmtiEnv.cpp

The ThreadDeath check is fine but I'm a bit confused about the additional null check that leads to JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT. I can't see how resolve_external_guard can return NULL when not passed in NULL. Nor why that would result in JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT rather than JVMTI_ERROR_NULL_POINTER. And I note JVMTI_ERROR_NULL_POINTER is not even a listed error for StopThread! This part of the change seems unrelated to this issue.

I was also surprised with the JVMTI_ERROR_NULL_POINTER and JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT error codes.
The JVM TI spec automatic generation adds these two error codes for a jobject parameter.

Also, they both are from the Universal Errors section:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2020/jvmti-stop-thread.1/docs/specs/jvmti.html#universal-error

You can find a link to this section at the start of the Error section:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2020/jvmti-stop-thread.1/docs/specs/jvmti.html#StopThread

My understanding (not sure, it is right) is that NULL has to be reported with JVMTI_ERROR_NULL_POINTER and a bad
jobject (for instance, a WeakReference with a GC-ed target) has to be reported with JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT.
At least, I was not able to construct a test case to get this error code returned.
So, I'm puzzled with this. I'll try to find some examples with JVMTI_ERROR_NULL_POINTER errors.

Found the explanation.
The JDI file:
  src/jdk.jdi/share/classes/com/sun/tools/jdi/JDWPException.java

has a fragment that translate the INVALID_OBJECT error to the ObjectCollectedException:
    RuntimeException toJDIException() {
        switch (errorCode) {
            case JDWP.Error.INVALID_OBJECT:
                return new ObjectCollectedException();

So, the INVALID_OBJECT is for a jobject handle that is referencing a collected object.
It means that previous implementation incorrectly returned JVMTI_ERROR_NULL_POINTER error code.

I should create and delete local or global ref to construct a test case for this.

Interesting that the JDWPException::toJDIException() does not convert the ILLEGAL_ARGUMENT error code to an IllegalArgumentException.
I've just added this conversion.

Given the definition of JDWP INVALID_OBJECT then obviously JDI converts it to ObjectCollectedException.

So reading further in JNI spec:

"Weak global references are a special kind of global reference. Unlike normal global references, a weak global reference allows the underlying Java object to be garbage collected. Weak global references may be used in any situation where global or local references are used."

So it seems that any function that takes a jobject cxould in fact accept a jweak, in which case JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT is a possibility in all cases. So IIUC JNIHandles::resolve_external_guard can return NULL if a weak reference has been collected. So the new code you propose seems correct.

You are right about weak global references.
I was able to construct a test case for JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT.
The JNI NewGlobalRef and DeleteGlobalRef are used for it.
You can find it in the updated webrev version.

However, this still is unrelated to the current issue and I do not see other JVM TI doing checks for this case. So this seems to be a much broader issue.
There are many such checks in JVM TI.
For instance, there are checks like the following in jvmtiEnv.cpp:
  NULL_CHECK(o, JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_OBJECT)

Thanks,
Serguei

David
-----

Thanks,
Serguei

Thanks,
Serguei

test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase/nsk/jvmti/StopThread/stopthrd006/TestDescription.java

The copyright year should be change to "2018, 2020,".
Thank you for the catch.
I planned to update the copyright comments.

I'm a little surprised the test doesn't actually check that a valid call doesn't produce an error. But that's an existing quirk of the test and not something you need to address here (if indeed it needs addressing - perhaps there is another test for that).

There are plenty of other nsk.jvmti tests which check valid calls.

Thanks,
Serguei

-----

Updated JVM TI StopThread spec: