On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 21:59:03 GMT, Anton Kozlov <akoz...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review the implementation of JEP 391: macOS/AArch64 Port.
>>
>> It's heavily based on existing ports to linux/aarch64, macos/x86_64, and
>> windows/aarch64.
>>
>> Major changes are in:
>> * src/hotspot/cpu/aarch64: support of the new calling convention (subtasks
>> JDK-8253817, JDK-8253818)
>> * src/hotspot/os_cpu/bsd_aarch64: copy of os_cpu/linux_aarch64 with
>> necessary adjustments (JDK-8253819)
>> * src/hotspot/share, test/hotspot/gtest: support of write-xor-execute (W^X),
>> required on macOS/AArch64 platform. It's implemented with
>> pthread_jit_write_protect_np provided by Apple. The W^X mode is local to a
>> thread, so W^X mode change relates to the java thread state change (for java
>> threads). In most cases, JVM executes in write-only mode, except when
>> calling a generated stub like SafeFetch, which requires a temporary switch
>> to execute-only mode. The same execute-only mode is enabled when a java
>> thread executes in java or native states. This approach of managing W^X mode
>> turned out to be simple and efficient enough.
>> * src/jdk.hotspot.agent: serviceability agent implementation (JDK-8254941)
>
> Anton Kozlov has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Redo buildsys fix

Build changes per se now looks okay. However, I agree with Erik that unless
this PR can wait for the JNF removal, at the very least the build docs needs to
be updated to explain how to successfully build for this platform. (I can live
with the configure command line hack, since it's temporary -- otherwise I'd
have requested a new configure argument.) This can be done in this PR or a
follow-up PR.

Marked as reviewed by ihse (Reviewer).