On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:36:54 GMT, Lin Zang <lz...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Do you think it is reasonable to treat "gz=[number]/[non-number]" differently
> in this case? or should it just exit with error for all "gz=" options that is
> not in the range of compression level? BTW, I think your suggested code is
> better if we consider all illegal compression level as an error.

I think we should produce an error for something like `gz=abc` rather than use
that as the filename, because I think it is likely user error. However, then
you also need to figure out what to do with `gz=1 gz=abc`. Since the first
argument is a proper `gz=` argument, you might miss the fact that the second
also starts with `gz=` and accept it as a filename. Maybe in this example that
is ok, but what if the user specifies `gz=1 gz=2`. Now it would seem they
accidentally did two `gz=` arguments and an error should be produced, so I
would suggest just always producing an error if the filename starts with `gz=`.