I fully understand why authors of (truly excellent, in your case!) advanced
serviceability agents would see any feature that could affect their area of
interest as a problem, but you surely understand that our responsibility is
toward a far larger ecosystem. Even the ultimate restriction — which is NOT the
subject of this JEP — would only require the addition of a command line flag to
retain the current behaviour, but all this JEP does is add a warning. That’s
the best mechanism that would allow us to estimate the impact of a future
restriction, so you should welcome it. This JEP disallows nothing.

On a more personal note, my fear is not that profilers (in general, not just
those that require agents) are now used too much, but that they’re used too
little, including profilers that don’t require agents at all. I’m afraid we’ll
find out that even if the usage of such tools were to grow by 10x it would
still be negligible. I’d love to see — and your help putting such capabilities
into the JDK would be much appreciated  greater awareness for the importance of
profilers, and much greater use.

As to JFR — I am aware that many improvement are necessary, but a new
stacktrace capture mechanism that JFR is about to start using is something that
we are unlikely to ever manage to expose through an API because it requires
close collaboration with HotSpot internals. Stay tuned, as it’s really
exciting! You mention that JVM TI serves multiple uses, and you are absolutely
right, but the plan is to incorporate the “read only” size into JFR, as it has
some foundational benefits over JVM TI in addition to the one I mentioned (JFR
is asynchronous whereas JVM TI is synchronous, which cause a whole lot of pain
for VM engineers).

— Ron