Hi,
(I put this in the PR, but maybe drafts don’t get updates put on the mailing
list?)

HeapDumpOverwrite sounds quite general, there are different ways of heap
dumping and this doesn't affect all of them. This could be
HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryErrorOverwrite, which is a long option even for us 8-) so
could be abbreviated perhaps, BUT that option might not be the way to do it…

Is it really that all heap dumps should be permitted to an existing file, IF
that file is a FIFO? From the email I think that's the problem? ..and if so, we
have:

8267666: Add option to jcmd GC.heap_dump to use existing file
https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8267666

So if jcmd to create a dump can use an existing file, -XX:OnError= can trigger
such a jcmd?

i.e. Maybe there is a way of doing what you want.  A code change could still be
required to make this easier for heap dumps on out of memory.  Writing a JBS
bug first is useful to define the problem.

Thanks
Kevin