On Wed, 31 May 2023 20:37:23 GMT, Chris Plummer <cjplum...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Alan Bateman has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a
>> merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes
>> brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains 14 additional
>> commits since the last revision:
>>
>>  - Allow for warning to be skipped when same agent loaded a
>> second/subsequent time
>>  - Merge
>>  - Tweak javadoc, update test to use more test infra
>>  - Merge
>>  - Merge
>>  - Refresh package description
>>  - Merge
>>  - Tweak docs
>>  - Merge
>>  - Draft docs changes
>>  - ... and 4 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/compare/5a6c8363...a6d3c23c
>
> src/hotspot/share/prims/jvmtiAgentList.cpp line 231:
>
>> 229:        if (agent->is_static_lib() && agent->is_loaded()) {
>> 230:          return true;
>> 231:        }
>
> This doesn't make sense to me. If  you pass in `null` for `os_lib`, then we
> return true if any loaded static lib is found. Is this an attempt to limit
> the warning to just the first static lib that is loaded? Also, why would
> `null` ever be passed in if there wasn't at least one static lib. Some
> clarify comments would be useful.

load_agent_from_executable has a comment to explain how statically linked
agents are started, that's why it needs to use agent->is_static_lib().&&
agent->is_loaded() here. There isn't currently a way to test this but there is
other work going to support static builds so it might be possible to write some
automated tests at that point.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13899#discussion_r1212613094