On 1/06/2023 5:16 pm, Jaroslav Bachorík wrote:
Hi David,

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 3:56 AM David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com <mailto:david.hol...@oracle.com>> wrote:

    Hi Jaroslav,

    On 31/05/2023 9:12 pm, Jaroslav Bachorík wrote:
     > Dear Team,
     >
     > I've been investigating the unusual JVM crashes occurring in
    JVMTI calls

    definition](https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/17/docs/specs/jvmti.html#jmethodID
<https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/17/docs/specs/jvmti.html#jmethodID>
<https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/17/docs/specs/jvmti.html#jmethodID
<https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/17/docs/specs/jvmti.html#jmethodID>>).

     > To paraphrase, the definition suggests that `jmethodID` identifies a
     > Java method, initializer, or constructor. These identifiers, once
     > returned by JVM TI functions and events, can be safely stored.
    However,
     > when the class is unloaded, they become invalid, rendering them
     > unsuitable for use.
     >
     > My interpretation is that the JVMTI user should verify the
    validity of a
     > `jmethodID` value before using it to prevent potential crashes.
    Would
     > you agree with this interpretation?

    Not quite - as you note you can't verify the jmethodID validity. What
    the user needs to do, in line with what Dan was saying, is ensure that
    they keep track of the classes to which the methods belong and keep
    them
    alive if necessary. Now that may be easier said than done, but that is
    the gist of it. This comes from the JNI spec:

    "A field or method ID does not prevent the VM from unloading the class
    from which the ID has been derived. After the class is unloaded, the
    method or field ID becomes invalid and may not be passed to any
    function
    taking such an ID. The native code, therefore, must make sure to:

          keep a live reference to the underlying class, or
          recompute the method or field ID

    if it intends to use a method or field ID for an extended period of
    time."

     > This sounds like a sensible requirement, but its practical
    application
     > remains unclear. As far as I know, methods can be unloaded
    concurrently
     > to the native code executing JVMTI functions. This introduces a
     > potential race condition where the JVM unloads the methods during
    the
     > check->use flow, making it only a partial solution. To complicate
     > matters further, no method exists to confirm whether a
    `jmethodID` is valid.

     > Theoretically, we could monitor the `CompiledMethodUnload` event to
     > track the validity state, creating a constantly expanding set of
     > unloaded `jmethodID` values or a bloom filter, if one does not care
     > about few potential false positives. This strategy, however, doesn't
     > address the potential race condition, and it could even
    exacerbate it
     > due to possible event delays. This delay might mistakenly validate a
     > `jmethodID` value that has already been unloaded, but for which the
     > event hasn't been delivered yet.
     >
     > Honestly, I don't see a way to use `jmethodID` safely unless the
    code
     > using it suspends the entire JVM and doesn't resume until it's
    finished
     > with that `jmethodID`. Any other approach might lead to JVM
    crashes, as
     > we've observed with J9.
     >
     > Lastly, it's noteworthy that Hotspot takes meticulous measures to
    ensure
     > that using jmethodIDs for unloaded methods doesn't crash the JVM and
     > even provides useful information. This observation has led me to
     > question whether the documentation aligns with the Hotspot
     > implementation, especially given that following closely the
     > documentation appears to increase the risk associated with the
    use of
     > `jmethodID` values.

    There have been folk who wanted to make this area more user-friendly
    but
    that shouldn't be mistaken for moving towards a world where jmethodIDs
    are always safe to use.

Yes, I see your point. Unfortunately, this confirms my worries that using AsyncGetCallTrace (ASGCT) on a system strictly adhering to the JVMTI spec of jmethoID is not really possible without risking random and quite frequent crashes on systems with concurrent class unloading enabled. FTR, ASGCT will record the stack trace as a list of frames, each one containing the corresponding jmethodID value. Considering that the most common usage of ASGCT is in a signal handler it makes it impossible to use JVMTI calls to resolve the holder class and create a strong reference to prevent it from being unloaded. And even if this would be possible we would need to figure out when to release the class reference when it is no more needed - and it is not really clear how we could do that reliably, leaving us with the option of holding the class references indefinitely or risking crashing JVM.

I would have to agree you cannot use jmethodID's for that purpose, not without also recording (and keeping-alive) the associated classes. As to when you would clear such references I can't say as I don't know how the ASGCT stack record would be used.

I want to emphasize that not being able to resolve additional details for a jmethodID pointing to a method of an unloaded class is not an issue, as long as the JVMTI call does not crash. I think that https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8268364 <https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8268364> did address exactly the problem of concurrent class unloading causing races in the code that is checking for validity of jmethodID and then using it.

Yes but internal to the JVMTI implementation. The basic null check that was used was found to be insufficient when used with ZGC and so we would crash more often than was considered reasonable. There is a quoted comment in the code in https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8268088:

  // These aren't deallocated and are going to look like a leak, but that's
  // needed because we can't really get rid of jmethodIDs because we don't
  // know when native code is going to stop using them. The spec says that
  // they're "invalid" but existing programs likely rely on their being
  // NULL after class unloading.

that kind of sums up the position of trying to accommodate "bad code" in a reasonable way.

Can this be summarize in a way that the user is not guaranteed to get any additional information for an invalid jmethodID but it would be really nice for JVM not to crash when jmethodID becomes invalid as there is no way for the user to check for its validity in an atomic manner - and yes, even calling GetMethodDeclaringClass in order to obtain the class one could create a strong reference is a subject to racy behaviour so it really can not be used as a workaround.

The only real solution IMO would be to encode jmethodIDs in a way that validity can be tracked and then have all JVMTI methods be able to check that validity and guarantee atomicity of the method such that the id can't become invalid whilst in use. Whether that is at all feasible/practical I do not know - but it sounds like a major effort to me.

Cheers,
David

Cheers,

-JB-