On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 00:39:52 GMT, Kelvin Nilsen <kdnil...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> OpenJDK Colleagues:
>>
>> Please review this proposed integration of Generational mode for Shenandoah
>> GC under https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8307314.
>>
>> Generational mode of Shenandoah is enabled by adding
>> `-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:ShenandoahGCMode=generational` to a
>> command line that already specifies ` -XX:+UseShenandoahGC`.  The
>> implementation automatically adjusts the sizes of old generation and young
>> generation to efficiently utilize the entire heap capacity.  Generational
>> mode of Shenandoah resembles G1 in the following regards:
>>
>> 1. Old-generation marking runs concurrently during the time that multiple
>> young generation collections run to completion.
>> 2. After old-generation marking completes, we perform a sequence of mixed
>> collections.  Each mixed collection combines collection of young generation
>> with evacuation of a portion of the old-generation regions identified for
>> collection based on old-generation marking information.
>> 3. Unlike G1, young-generation collections and evacuations are entirely
>> concurrent, as with single-generation Shenandoah.
>> 4. As with single-generation Shenandoah, there is no explicit notion of eden
>> and survivor space within the young generation.  In practice, regions that
>> were most recently allocated tend to have large amounts of garbage and these
>> regions tend to be collected with very little effort.  Young-generation
>> objects that survive garbage collection tend to accumulate in regions that
>> hold survivor objects.  These regions tend to have smaller amounts of
>> garbage, and are less likely to be collected.  If they survive a sufficient
>> number of young-generation collections, the “survivor” regions are promoted
>> into the old generation.
>>
>> We expect to refine heuristics as we gain experience with more production
>> workloads.  In the future, we plan to remove the “experimental” qualifier
>> from generational mode, at which time we expect that generational mode will
>> become the default mode for Shenandoah.
>>
>> **Testing**: We continuously run jtreg tiers 1-4 + hotspot_gc_shenandoah,
>> gcstress, jck compiler, jck runtime, Dacapo, SpecJBB, SpecVM, Extremem,
>> HyperAlloc, and multiple AWS production workload simulators. We test on
>> Linux x64 and aarch64, Alpine x64 and aarch64, macOS x64 and aarch64, and
>> Windows x64.
>
> Kelvin Nilsen has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Update copyright notices

> Thanks Thomas for the feedback:
>
> These proposed changes represent improvements to both Generational and
> Non-generational modes of operation. We can revert if that is desired, or we
> can specialize Generational versions of these parameters so that they can
> have different values in different modes, but here is a bit of background.
> We've done considerable testing on a variety of synthetic workloads and some
> [...]

Hi Kelvin,

thanks for the thorough explanations!

It is a pity that these valuable insights are buried in a GH discussion and
these changes inside such a large patch. I also looked at the originating patch
in openjdk/shenandoah, which I assume is your development repo for Shenandoah
(?).

Could I convince you to adapt the JBS issue process in the shenandoah repo (so,
opening an issue on JBS, with some clear explanation, then fixing the bug)?
Roman convinced me of this for the Lilliput repository, and now I think the
added work is well worth it. JBS is a treasure trove of insights, if filled
with care, and can help us for many years.

Some more questions about `ShenandoahFullGCThreshold`:

I am looking at the nice ASCII art in
`ShenandoahControlThread::service_concurrent_normal_cycle`. IIUC, the cycle
goes:

Concurrent GC -> Alloc failure -> n x Degenerated GC -> Alloc Failure -> Full GC

right? So the change is now in how often we try a degenerated GC before falling
back to a full GC?

With GenShen, does a degenerated GC still collect only the young regions? And
only FullGC does collect all regions?

Are comment and ASCII-art still correct for GenShen? E.g. the comment says:

  // If second allocation failure happens during Degenerated GC cycle (for
example, when GC
  // tries to evac something and no memory is available), cycle degrades to
Full GC.

Is "second allocation failure" correct? Since even before this patch, we tried
three times before falling back to a Full GC.

Thank you,

Thomas

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14185#issuecomment-1580127311