On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:10:13 GMT, Ashutosh Mehra <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I am thinking of a comprehensive test that creates a classfile with specific
> attribute, load it in the VM, dump that class file using SA, then disassemble
> the generated class file to check for the presence of the attribute. We would
> also need some mechanism to ensure all attributes and cp tags supported by
> the VM level being tested are covered. Does that sound feasible?

I am working on a test case that uses `buildreplayjars` command to dump the
boot and app classfiles and reuse them to run the same application again. I
think that would provide good coverage for classfile dumping functionality as
well and would remove the requirement to check every other attribute in the
dumped classfile.
But the new test currently fails because we are not dumping many of the
attributes in the classfile. So far I have added support for Annotations,
NestMembers and NestHost. Once I have the test working I will open the PR to
add it.

As for this PR, we can either wait for the new test and other changes to be
ready, or integrate it based on the manual testing. I don't mind either
approach.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14495#issuecomment-1609484548