On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 02:59:19 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Chris Plummer has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional
>> commits since the last revision:
>>
>>  - update clhsdb docs
>>  - update clhsdb docs
>
> This seems to be a change that will impact the end user of these tools.
> Instead of disabling j.u.c.locks by default and proving an option to turn
> them on, you should provide an option to turn them off, and our tests can use
> that. What you proposed makes sense for an initial design of the tool, but
> not for a change after the fact.

@dholmes-ora I understand your point. There are pros and cons to both
approaches, and I think that needs to be considered. One advantage of my
approach is preventing users from accidentally stumbling into this is issue,
and wondering why jstack won't complete. I think this is more likely than being
confused by the change (expecting locks and not seeing them). Another advantage
is consistency with bin/jstack and "jhsdb jstack" in that the locks are not
included by default.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17479#issuecomment-1899777777