On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:25:12 GMT, Coleen Phillimore <cole...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Remove the notproduct distinction for command line options, rather than
>> trying to wrestle the macros to fix the bug that they've been treated as
>> develop options for some time now.  This simplifies the command line option
>> macros.
>>
>> Tested with tier1-4, tier1 on Oracle platforms.  Also built shenandoah.
>
> Coleen Phillimore has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Fix a couple issues pointed out by Stefank.

Looks good.  One minor nit.

Also, it seems that develop and nonproduct (before this change) flags have
associated JVMFlag objects even in product builds. (The function
JVMFlag::is_constant_in_binary is evidence for this. I didn't dig through all
the code to verify it.) Probably if one were going to retain nonproduct
options and make them work "properly", they would only have JVMFlag objects in
non-product builds. But it's not obvious to me why we would want such objects
for either category in product builds. I think any change along that line
should be a separate followup.

test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/CommandLine/VMOptionWarning.java line 64:

> 62:         output = new OutputAnalyzer(pb.start());
> 63:         output.shouldNotHaveExitValue(0);
> 64:         output.shouldContain("Error: VM option 'CheckCompressedOops' is
> develop and is available only in debug version of VM.");

Seems like we don't need this test of the develop option CheckCompressedOops at
all, since we have
the immediately preceding test of the develop option VerifyStack.

Marked as reviewed by kbarrett (Reviewer).

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18541#pullrequestreview-1974549362
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18541#discussion_r1548328730