On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:48:16 GMT, Dean Long <dl...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Did you consider minimizing changes by leaving
> decode_invokedynamic_index/encode_invokedynamic_index calls in place, but
> having the implementations not change the value?

The intention from the start was to remove the encode/decode methods because
they have been made unnecessary thanks to the changes mentioned in the
description. As the author of the previously mentioned changes that overhauled
the cpcache, this change should have been included in one of those PRs, but I
must have forgotten! Leaving the calls in even if they did nothing would just
make the code confusing and might become a red herring if other issues in the
area come up.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18819#issuecomment-2064263944