On Thu, 2 May 2024 10:07:35 GMT, Serguei Spitsyn <sspit...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Any event posting code except CFLH, ClassPrepare and ClassLoad  events has a
> conditional return in case if the event is posted during a VTMS transition.
> The CFLH, ClassPrepare and ClassLoad event posting code has just an assert
> instead. The ClassPrepare and ClassLoad events also have a conditional return
> in a case of temporary VTMS transition.
> This update is to align the CFLH, ClassPrepare and ClassLoad events with all
> other events in this area.
>
> Testing:
>  - TBD: submit mach5 tiers 1-6

I looked at other places where the following is already in place:

`return; // no events should be posted if thread is in any VTMS transition`

I can understand the rationale for not sending events in those cases (like
breakpoint, singlestep, and methodentry). However, loss ClassPrepare and
ClassLoad events seems a bit more significant for profilers that might be
trying to accurately track all class loading. It seems maybe we should instead
be trying to avoid these events by preloading the classes as was suggested as
an option in the CR.

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19054#pullrequestreview-2037080382