> This PR adds ranked monitor support to the debug agent. The debug agent has a
> large number of monitors, and it's really hard to know which order to grab
> them in, and for that matter which monitors might already be held at any
> given moment. By imposing a rank on each monitor, we can check to make sure
> they are always grabbed in the order of their rank. Having this in place when
> I was working on [JDK-8324868](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8324868)
> would have made it much easier to detect a deadlock that was occuring, and
> the reason for it. That's what motivated me to do this work
>
> There were 2 or 3 minor rank issues discovered as a result of these changes.
> I also learned a lot about some of the more ugly details of the locking
> support in the process.
>
> Tested with the following on all supported platforms and with virtual threads:
>
> com/sun/jdi
> vmTestbase/nsk/jdi
> vmTestbase/nsk/jdb
> vmTestbase/nsk/jdwp
>
> Still need to run tier2 and tier5.
>
> Details of the changes follow in the first comment.

Chris Plummer has updated the pull request incrementally with eight additional
commits since the last revision:

 - Minor comment fix in debugMonitorCreate()
 - Don't do anything in assertIsCurrentThread() if asserts are disabled
 - Print threads names instead of addresses in assertIsCurrentThread()
 - Renamed thread -> savedOwnerThread and entryCount -> savedEntryCount.
 - pass already fetched current_thread to assertIsCurrentThread()
 - dbgRawMonitor reference should be dbg_monitor->monitor in dumpRawMonitors()
 - Free localrefs allocated by GetThreadInfo().
 - Optimize loop iterations during rank verification.

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19044/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19044/files/bcb92b59..ece5f34f

Webrevs: