On Fri, 17 May 2024 02:00:29 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> But this clarification doesn't actually clarify that the rest of the spec
> uses `nullptr`. Based on the proposed wording I would expect things like:
>
> ```
> The function may return <code>nullptr</code>
> ```
>
> to say
>
> ```
> The function may return a null pointer
> ```

Looking at this again, I think I agree with @dholmes-ora .

Some of the relevant places are text, and should be using "null pointer".
Some are example code or the like.  Those should be using NULL rather than
nullptr, since we have this text early on:

"Unless otherwise stated, all examples and declarations in this
specification use the C language."

I didn't find any that were described as C++ rather than C.

So JDK-8324680 was somewhat mistaken about what needed to be done, and what
was done.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19257#issuecomment-2116606245