On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 16:37:15 GMT, Leonid Mesnik <lmes...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> The vmTestbase/vm/share is a shared test library for vmTestbase tests. This
> library contains a lot of code that is used by only by small number of tests
> or not used at all. There are no plans to actively develop new tests in
> vmTestsbase and improve this shared library.
> The final goal of this and the following PRs is to reduce the maintenance
> cost of vmTestbase by eliminating this library.
>
> Also, this PR moves test-specific code into corresponding test directories to
> increase code locality. This allows later easier move tests from vmTestbase.
>
> The few remaining classes include
> InMemoryJavaCompiler.java
> that is very similar to same class from the standard testlibrary and could be
> merge with it and
> ProcessUtils.java
> which is used by
> test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/Thread/TestBreakSignalThreadDump.java
> and thus should be moved into the standard testlibrary.
> The stack and options might be merged in nsk/share test library.

Thank you so much for this cleanup work.  I have one suggestion which hopefully
will work.

test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase/metaspace/share/TriggerUnloadingWithWhiteBox.java
line 23:

> 21:  * questions.
> 22:  */
> 23: package metaspace.share;

There's a triggerUnloading call here:

test/lib/jdk/test/lib/classloader/ClassUnloadCommon.java

You might be able to also remove this file (and maybe the others) and use the
ClassUnloadCommon version.

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19727#pullrequestreview-2119124129
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19727#discussion_r1640267492