> Hi all,
>
> This PR addresses [8334492](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8334492)
> enabling jcmd diagnostic commands that issue an output file to accept the
> `%p` pattern in the file name and substitute it for the PID.
>
> This PR addresses the following diagnostic commands:
> - [x] Compiler.perfmap
> - [x] GC.heap_dump
> - [x] System.dump_map
> - [x] Thread.dump_to_file
> - [x] VM.cds
>
> Note that some jcmd diagnostic commands already enable this functionality
> (`JFR.configure, JFR.dump, JFR.start and JFR.stop`).
>
> I propose opening a separate issue to track updating the man page similarly
> to how it’s done for the JFR diagnostic commands. For example,
>

> filename         (Optional) Name of the file to which the flight recording
> data is
>                    written when the recording is stopped. If no filename is
> given, a
>                    filename is generated from the PID and the current date
> and is
>                    placed in the directory where the process was started. The
>                    filename may also be a directory in which case, the
> filename is
>                    generated from the PID and the current date in the
> specified
>                    directory. (STRING, no default value)
>
>                    Note: If a filename is given, '%p' in the filename will be
>                    replaced by the PID, and '%t' will be replaced by the time
> in
>                    'yyyy_MM_dd_HH_mm_ss' format.
>

> Unfortunately, per [8276265](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8276265),
> sources for the jcmd manpage remain in Oracle internal repos so this PR can’t
> address that.
>
> Testing:
>
> - [x] Added test case passes.
> - [x] Modified existing VM.cds tests to also check for `%p` filenames.
>
> Looking forward to your comments and addressing any diagnostic commands I
> might have missed (if any).
>
> Cheers,
> Sonia

Sonia Zaldana Calles has updated the pull request with a new target base due to
a merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains 15 commits:

 - Merge master
 - Fixing formatting
 - Inlining buffer and making field private
 - Reverting to functional changes in parserTests.cpp
 - Error messaging format
 - Fixing memory leak
 - Fixing pointer style, s/NULL/nullptr, and exception
 - Cleaning up parserTests.cpp
 - Missing copyright header update
 - Adding tests for file dcmd argument
 - ... and 5 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/compare/2f2223d7...52ca557d

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20198/files
  Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=20198&range=08
  Stats: 195 lines in 11 files changed: 154 ins; 19 del; 22 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/20198/head:pull/20198

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20198