As the Subject states my configuration is

Red Hat 6.1
Apache   1.3.9-4 9 (installed by Redhat CD not me)
Jserv 1.1 installed from ApacheJServ-1.1-2RH6x.rpm
IBM JDK 1.1.8 installed from IBMJava118-SDK-1.1.8-1.0.rpm (installed this just
prior to JServ.)

I verified the JDK by running a few applets (compiled them first) with applet
viewer.

1st the wrapper.bin entry in the jserv.properties seemed to be faulty.
it was:

wrapper.bin=/usr/local/java/bin/java

had no bearing on reality

I did some checking and switched it to

wrapper.bin=/usr/bin/jikes

Everytime I access a servlet the error logs indicate that the JVM starts and the
dies
in rapid succession.

Any insight from those who have this or a VERY similar configuration going
greatly appriciated.
Please no pointers to the Apache FAQ , been there with little results. In fact
last attempt to access it
failed to load the Jserv FAQ at all... FAQ-omatic indeed.

tia,

-sjm