Steve,

Following your advice, I updated the Plone site in only one step!

After fixing an already known issue about CMFPlone.AccessRule (I have fixed
the issue by copying the CMFPlone\extensions directory into my
plone-4.0.2-py2.6.egg\Products\CMFPlone directory and, after restarting
Plone, by upgrading the database through portal_migration) the only problem
remains the theme. Currently, I'm following the guide at

http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/version/upgrading-plone-3-x-to-4.0/updating-add-on-products-for-plone-4.0/updating-plone-3-themes-for-plone-4

to solve my issue.

Just a curiosity. Why is zope instance so slow in foreground mode?

-----
Best,
ambda76