I put a 568 in my '86 SC (it's tranny was toast when I got it). It came from a '90 VNT intercooled Shadow. It was perfect, since 1990 still had the small spline input shaft, and I didn't even have to change the clutch. It is 'only' a stock T1 with MP comptuer and G-Valve at 13-14 PSI, but back in 1989 I had a 1985 SC and the transaxle grenaded on me, and I didn't want to worry about the 525.

As for putting in a L-Body, it does require a little bit of extra work, but it is still almost a bolt in.

568, intermediate shaft, shifter, and cables from donor car.
2 left (drivers) axles for a 89-90 Omni with Automatic.
move rear mount, or use long bolt with spacers.
grind a notch in the top tranny mount.
mount shifter and cables (worst part IMHO)

And I did use a BFH on the floor to flatten it out to mount the cable shifter.

Basically the way I heard it was the 568 came in the larger body styles and
the higher output turbo cars to make up for the weight.. ( I assume)
the 523 were for the lighter cars like Shadow/Sundance

turbo vs. non turbo also made a difference in final drive ratio..

to use one of these transmissions in a 555/520 equipped vehicle requires the
use of newer axels (I believe) and the shifter and shifters cables to this
to work properly..
I think this is a direct swap if im not mistaken?
To use these in an L body requires a little more ingenuity and a BFH!..
;)

-----------------------REMOVE-FOOTER-WHEN-REPLYING---------------------------- Questions? Visit http://www.sdml.org/