#-----Original Message-----
#From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:owner-shelby-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of k7t266a
#Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:32 PM
#To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
#Subject: SD> Florida law
#
#Just what we need another law to keeps us all safe from ourselves. What
#ever reasons you have for wanting it closed cant possibly add up to
equal a
#law. Do we not have enough of them, "land of the free", more like "land
of
#the law'd to death". Freedom demands responsibility so I guess the
people
#in body bags found out the hard way . If I come off rough and callous
#remember this is a cruel world. Down with the laws! Act responsible and
if
#there are some individuals who cant figure it out a few public
executions
#will get you wide eye'd and walking the straight and narrow. Seriously
#though, more laws do not do ANY of us any good, give the power to the
#people not the politicians.
#

The power >is< with the people. The politicians are in the FL statehouse
at the behest of the FL voters. They asked for something to be done, and
it was.  If the residents of FL don't like the law, they have the power
to change or modify it to their liking.  The people are the government.

That being said, I understand your frustration.  These miscreants have
cast us all in a bad light.  Laws like this would not be created if we
all were responsible citizens.  That fact is that not all of us are that
responsible.  One should have the right to do whatever one desires...as
long as that action does not interfere with another individuals ability
to do the same. That's where the 'responsibility' part comes in. When
one individual is dead because of another's irresponsible actions, I
think the case is clear somebody's rights have been
violated...permanently.

I have no information to be able to comment on the specifics of the law,
but the rights of an individual to operate a vehicle on the public
streets must end when that action endangers someone else who is not
involved.  If it were only boy-racer that gets whacked by being stupid,
that's one thing, but its quite another matter when a minivan full of
innocent kids gets t-boned.  The death or injury of boy-racer may be
tragic, but it is not as much of an ethical problem (to me) as the death
or injury of innocent drivers.  I want the uninvolved users of the road
to be safe. The uninvolved individual could be you.

Tim