I just did the differential carrier bearings on my 568 transmission.  We're
talking about a 413 transmission, but the procedure is going to be quite
similar.

To do it RIGHT the transmission has to come out.  You do not need to press the
old bearings off of the differential assembly.  You can just cut them off by
being real careful with a dremel.  They are junk anyway.  Obviously, be careful
and don't allow any metal shavings to get into the diff assembly.  If you
slightly knick the diff assembly while cutting, its not a big deal.  Then the
outer races will pound out with a punch and persuasion.

After the new bearings and races are pounded on (SUPPOSED TO BE PRESSED, but
there's nothing wrong with pounding them in if you're careful and have the
right tools) the bearing preload must be set since there is bearing tolerances
to work with.  The preload is the same as what you do when you tighten the
bearing nut on a rear drum axle but its not the same type of procedure to do
it..  Now, some literature I have states that bearing manufacturing tolerances
are VERY strict and typical tolerances were within the thickness difference of
one shim versus the next size up, so theoretically it shouldn't HAVE to be
done.  If this info is accurate.  PFFT if I know.  This book has been wrong
before.  But if the preload needs to be set, the transmission must be out of
the car at that time.

I couldn't find a transmission shop that liked the idea that I tore down my 568
myself and wanted them to set the preload of the diff carrier bearings and
thats it, so I said to heck with it and gambled.  I slapped new bearings in
with the original shim.  Upon assembly, with lubricated brand new bearings it
is supposed to take between 9 and 14 in. lbs. of torque to spin the
differential assembly.  I was at 8 in lbs.  I thought it was close enough so I
tossed it all back together.  About 1000 miles on it and everything is fine
yet.  It got rid of my noise at least.

For you, the K-frame will have to come off if you don't want to drop the
transmission.  You can remove the differential assembly, replace the bearings,
etc.  Re-install everything and pray the bearings fit with the proper snugness.
 But because the guts of the transmission is still there, it won't be possible
to accurately check to see how much force it takes to spin the diff assembly to
see if there is enough or too much preload.  There should be NO PLAY in the
differential assembly.  It should actually feel a bit stiff.

I got lucky for a change and everything was cool.  That kind of luck doesn't
happen much in the autootive world.