Thanks. As to the Hurst shifter, I am SOL

http://go.mrgasket.com/AskTechResults.aspx?BrandID=1&ID=129544

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard Paul
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2005 1:49 PM
To: SDML
Cc: Thomas Tancula
Subject: SD> 85 GLH trans

The problem is most likely the pivot that mounts on the diff cover of
the trans. There is a big pin that part of the shift linkage pivots on.
It is on a bracket that is held onto the back of the trans over the diff
cover. The pin gets loose in the bracket and the linkage gets all
sloppy. Even a bit of "pin wiggle" will make the shifter very sloppy.
I have had no problems with the stock linkage except wear due to the
20+ years it has been in service.
I would suggest buying the clevis end for the long shaft and the two
linkage rods and replacing them while you are in there. Parts are still
available and fairly cheap. No need to go to heim joints, just freshen
up the stock 20 year old stuff.

The 525 will work fine unless it is abused. Don't feel the need to
replace it unless you like doing big smoky burnouts with it.

Richard Paul
91 Spirit RT
86 GLHS #63
86 GLHS #499