Chris,
The swap wouldn't be all that difficult and the console is the same. I think it all depends on what your goals are. The high rpm's @ 70 mph. that you mentioned can be handled by changing your final drive gearing. I am just getting ready to put a new 2.2 T-ll in my 88 Shelby Z and am keeping the automatic w/ some mod's for a daily driver. I plan to build my 85 Laser for road racing using a 555. If you decide to go with a 5spd. I think I have a shift boot and pedals and maybe a flywheel if you need em. lmk. good luck,
Dennis D'Spain

From: Chris VanKauwenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Shelby Dodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SD> Automatic to Manual swap or NOT!
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 11:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

I have an 86' Laser XT that is in excellent,untouched condition (cosmetically). I've installed a few mods and now I'm left with a difficult choice. The 3 speed auto kills my performance. I know Cindy and others sell a good 3 speed for around $1,500 (which I'm not afraid to pay). On the otherhand, my only hesitation to swapping out the tranny for a manual is the condition of the vehicle..... as the console and everything else is in excellent condition. Are the automatic consoles in these cars the same as a manual console? Can a shifter boot be installed where the gear selection indicator is located or do I have to swap out the whole console? I don't know if I'll ever find a manual console with the same features in this kind of condition (not worth it to me if this is how it is). I'm picky like that : )

Any opinions on the above is appreciated...manual vs. automatic...and/or console tips. Driving the car would definitely be more enjoyable with a manual, and it would be nice not to hear my engine screaming at 3300-3500 rpm at around 70mph.

  Thanks,
  Chris [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01