Shorted regulator wires can definately cause overcharging...

Checking for shorts is a good tip for people that have overcharging
issues.  Usually a bad regulator in the PM will stop the alternator from
charging and the voltage will be 12v or less.

A quick way to know if the alternator is charging without any kind of
meter is to put a screwdriver on the back side of it.  If it is charging
it will stick to the alternator due to the magnetic field that the coils
create.  For your own safety, hold only the plastic portion while doing
this and make sure you don't touch the actual terminals (just the case).

-Rich