ALI THE MIRACLE OF MOHAMMAD(S)
BY

YAQUB HASAN RIZVI
MUBAHELA
(MALEDICTORY
CONFLICT)

The Prophet
(S.A.W) then invited the delegates to accept Islam as their religion but they
refused and asked the Prophet (S.A.W) to pronounce his beliefs about Jesus. The
Prophet (S.A.W) advised them to go and rest and that he will answer their
question the next day.
Next day, Allah
revealed Sura 3, (Ale Imran) verses 58, 59, 60 of the Holy Quran to the Prophet
(S.A.W) which says, "Surely the likeness of Jesus is with Allah as the
likeness of Adam. He created him from dust then said to him be and he became
alive. This is the truth from your Lord. So be not of the disputers." Next
day when the Christian delegates came to he Prophet (S.A.W) to know his views
about Jesus the Prophet (S.A.W) recited these verses and said, "Jesus was
only a Prophet like Adam. He was created from dust and therefore cannot be son
of Allah." But they did not believe him. Allah sent another revelation
which says, "That if the opponents insist in the matter even after the
knowledge you have given them, tell them come let us bring our sons and your
sons, our woman and your woman, ourselves and yourselves and beseech Allah and
invoke His curse upon the liars" (3-60).
The Prophet
(S.A.W) informed the Christians about this revelation and challenged them to
have a Mubahela (maledictory conflict) with him, which the Christians agreed.
Next day when they came prepared for the maledictory conflict they saw the
Prophet (S.A.W) coming out with Husain (A.S.), Ali (A.S.)’s second son in his
arms. Hasan (A.S.) the eldest son of Ali (A.S.) holding he finger of the
Prophet (S.A.W), Fatema (S.A.) Ali (A.S.)’s wife and daughter of the Prophet
(S.A.W) walking behind the Prophet (S.A.W) and Ali (A.S.) walking behind Fatema
(S.A.). The Christians also heard the Prophet (S.A.W) instructing these four
members of his family that when he supplicates they should all say `Amen’. The
faces that the Christian saw for the first time and the instructions that they
heard the Prophet (S.A.W) giving them frightened the Christians so much that
Abu Harris their leader said, "Verily I see a divine light on the faces of
these combatants, truth shines in their eyes. I am sure should they pray for
anything Allah will listen to their prayers and even move mountains if they
asked for it. I sincerely advise you to refrain from having this maledictory
conflict (Mubahela) with them and invoke the curse of Allah. Such maledictory
conflicts with people like these is to invite sure death." Heeding his
advice the Christians refused to have Mubahela and signed a treaty with the
Prophet (S.A.W) agreeing to supply two thousand dresses of forty Dirhams each
every year to the Muslims [Madarejun Naboova, Vol.2, page 498].