asalamualikum...

* Ramadaan 1427 = 2006 *
by *Shaykh Muhammad al-Maaliki حفظه الله *
on Saturday, October 14th, 2006
http://albaseerah.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4377

This night, the night of Laylatul Qadr can be found anywhere in the world.
In it Allaah sends down all the blessings, all the sustenance of the coming
year, all mercy – and when we say ‘all mercy’ we don’t mean all mercy of His
سبحانه و تعالى, but all mercy which He سبحانه و تعالى gives to the mankind
in this life would be seen in that night. As in the hadith reported by ibn
Maajah on the authority of Anas ibn Maalik and authenticated by Imaam
al-Albaani in his book Saheeh at-Targheeb hadith number 986. He صلى الله
عليه وسلم said to the sahaabah when Ramadaan first came: *“Verily this month
has approached you now. In it is a night which is better than a thousand
months whosoever loses that night and misses it is the one who misses the
whole good – the whole khair, and whoever misses that night or he said:
nobody would miss that night except he was a great loser.”*[4]

So we need to show to Allaah what pleases Him in these nights. We need to do
*i’tikaaf* if we can, in any masjid in the world although there are
different opinions amongst the scholars, and we respect all the scholars. *
i’tikaaf* is to free yourself from all relations except the one with Allaah.
So, you remain in the mosque away from this life, away from dunya, away from
its attractions, away from problems and whatever is in it, just to worship
Allaah. You also refrain from slandering, backbiting, mocking, cheating and
harming others. This is in order to make your body parts are at peace and
feel mercy so that it may enjoy the blessings of this night, and so that
Allaah may make it after Ramadaan a better body and that is why Prophet صلى
الله عليه وسلم used to do *i’tikaaf*, as in the hadith of Abu Hurayrah in
Saheeh Bukhaari that * “the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used to do
i’tikaafin every Ramadaan for ten days but when it was the last year
that he left he
did i’tikaaf for twenty days.” *[5] That was only to free himself for
worshipping Allaah so that Allaah تعالى may make him one of those who stand
on the night of Laylatul Qadr, the night in which Allaah تعالى sends down
all blessings, mercy and sustenance.

The ‘Ulamaa and the Salaf (the pious worthy predecessors) used to treat this
night differently from all others. They used to stay in the masjid and
between Maghrib and ‘Eesha they took a shower, used perfume and incense and
they put on their best clothes then stood for ‘Eesha, Taraaweeh and
Qiyaamul-Layl in a good way.

So we need to show Allaah تعالى in this night what pleases Him سبحانه و
تعالى and what makes us very strong. And the best of what is done in these
nights besides Qur’aan is du’aa – supplication, as Imaam Sufyaan ath-Thawri
said, *“Du’aa in that night is more beloved to me than prayer” * and he
meant to show just how important du’aa is – it is more important than
prayer. So one needs to show Allaah a lot of du’aa (supplication). This is
why when ‘Aishah رضي الله عنها asked the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, *“If I
see Laylatul Qadr what should I say in it?” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم
told her to say: “O Allaah You are One who forgives and You love forgiveness
so forgive me.”*[6]

اللَّهُمَّ إنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنِّي
And that is reported by Imaam at-Tirmidhi.

We need to spend this night in a good way. We have to be away from all that
can destroy the beauty of this night of Laylatul Qadr. We have to avoid
fighting, quarrelling and debating. Just free yourself for worshipping
Allaah even if others are willing to debate or talk about others, even if
they say ‘this is about Deen’ just say ‘the Salaf used to close all the
books of hadith which are better than your talk, and only open the Qur’aan.
So they lived only with Qur’aan in the last ten nights.’

--
Masjid Ahlul-Quraan wa As-Sunnah of New york
http://www.seekknowledge.org