Subject: THE BIRTH OF IMAM HUSSAIN (A.S.)

Six months after Al-Hassan was born, Fatima(s.a.) became pregnant with her
second child. Lady Fatima started noticing the signs that childbearing was
near, but the Prophet (s.a.w..) had already foretold of Imam Hussin’s birth.

On the third of the blessed month of Sha’ban, the fourth year after Hijra, the
Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) was given news of the birth of Imam Hussein (a.s.).
He (s.a.w.) hurried to the house of Imam Ali and Fatima al-Zahra.

Safia Bint Abdul Muttalib, Asma Bint Umais, and Um Salama were present when
Imam Hussain was born.

When the Prophet asked Safia (his aunt) to bring him the newborn child, she
said: "We have not cleaned him yet." When the Prophet heard this, he (s.a.w.)
said: "You clean him? Surely Allah the Exalted has cleaned and purified him"

Asma took the newborn child to him. The infant was wrapped in a piece of cloth.
The face of the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) lit up upon seeing his grandson. He
took him in his arms. He recited the call to prayer (adan) into his right ear,
and read the shorter version (iqama) in his left ear. He, then, placed the baby
in his lap and wept.

"May my father and mother be your sacrifice," Asma asked him, "why are you
crying?"

"Because of my son," he (s.a.w) replied.

"He is a newborn baby," she said.

"O Asma," he (s.a.w) said, "After me, the transgressing party will kill him.
May Allah never grant them my intercession."

Then he said: "Asma, do not tell Fatima about this, for she has just given
birth to him."

After Al-Hussein was born, Gabriel descended to the Prophet (s.a.w.) and
revealed to him to give the new baby the name Al-Hussain. Al-Hussain is the
Arabic version of the old Hebrew name Shabir, which was Haroun’s second son’s
name. When Gabriel descended to the Prophet, scores of angels accompanied him
to congratulate and console the Prophet for Hussain’s birth and expected
martyrdom.

Seven days after the birth , the Messenger of Allah shaved Hussain’s head and
gave the weight of his hair as charity for him.