asalamualikum...

*Question:* What ‘ebaadaat are encouraged during this month besides praying
Taraaweeh? Also, for the sisters is it okay if they don’t go as much to the
masjid or are they encouraged to go to the masaajid? And furthermore *
i’tikaaf* for the sisters – are they required to do this in the masjid and
for how long and what are their requirements?

*Answer:* The first masalah (issue) that she’s asking about is what
‘ebaadaat is encouraged in this month besides Taraaweeh. All ‘ebaadaat are
encouraged. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم has gathered about six ‘ebaadaat
that are done especially in Ramadaan. They are:
i) Qiyaamul-Layl i.e. Taraaweeh.
ii) Supplication as in the hadith of ‘Aishah رضي الله عنها when she asked
him صلى الله عليه وسلم *“what should I say (if I see Laylaatul-Qadr)?”* and
he صلى الله عليه وسلم told her to say:

[1]اللَّهُمَّ إنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ العَفْوَ فاعْفُ عَنِّي
Also Allaah تعالى encouraged us to make a lot of du’aa.
iii) Recitation of Qur’aan.
iv) Feeding the needy and poor and even feeding or giving breakfast to those
who are fasting. All of these are ‘ebaadaat.
v) Also, having good relations with your family, your parents and your
neighbours, and forgiving the Muslims for whatever harm they may have
inflicted upon you. All these are ‘ebaadaat.

And all ‘ebaadah is rewarded more in Ramadaan than outside of Ramadaan. But
Qiyaamul-Layl has a special case in Ramadaan. We have to give more in
Ramadaan and that’s why although the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم encouraged
us to do Qiyaamul-Layl all throughout the year, in Ramadaan he صلى الله عليه
وسلم said:

[2] من قام رمضان إيمانا واحتسابا غفر له ما تقدم من ذنبه

[3] من قام ليلة القدر إيمانا واحتسابا غفر له ما تقدم من ذنبه

[4] من قام خلف إمامه حتى ينصرف كتب له قيام ليلة

All this shows us that it is very important to do the night prayer in
Ramadaan – Why? It is because the Qur’aan was descended in (one of those)
nights to the first level of the Heavens.

إِنَّا أَنْـزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةِ الْقَدْرِ

*{Verily, We have sent it (this Qur’aan) down in the night of Al-Qadr
(Decree).}* [al-Qadr 97:1]

حم {1} وَالْكِتَابِ الْمُبِينِ {2} إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةٍ
مُّبَارَكَةٍ

*{Haa.-Meem. By the manifest Book (this Qur’aan) that makes things clear. We
sent it (this Qur’aan) down on a blessed night [(i.e. night of Al-Qadr,
Surah No. 97) in the month of Ramadaan - the 9th month of the Islaamic
calendar].}* [ad-Dukhaan 44:1-3]

It was descended at night and so it’s better to do as much night prayer as
you can, and much Qur’aan recitation and du’aa. That’s the first part of the
question.

The second part is whether it is better for the sister to pray in the masjid
in Taraaweeh or to pray at home. It depends, if you are at your home or
house and masha’Allaah you are someone who can concentrate on the Qur’aan
without any disturbances, then its better (to pray) in the house. If you
say, “Oh, in the house I cannot concentrate, my children make noise and
there are lots of things going on and I *cannot concentrate*” then go to the
masjid but with the permission of your husband and if you have no husband
then with the permission of the *wali*, whether it is your father, brother
or whoever your *wali* is. The third thing is when you go to the masjid it
must be safe for you to go. You should not go at night if it is unsafe for
you to go – you must be safe and you must be in complete hijaab, you must
avoid perfume and you should go in tranquillity to the masjid if that is
possible. If it is not possible then it is better to stay at home, in all
cases the *house is better for the woman* as in the hadith of Prophet.[5]

The last issue mentioned in the question pertains to *i’tikaaf*.
*I’tikaaf*is only to be done
*in the masjid*. There is no *i’tikaaf* in the house, neither for the man
nor the woman. However, if someone wants to do *i’tikaaf* but he is unable
to, Allaah will reward him as per his intention because Allaah تعالى deals
with (matters of) the heart whilst we deal only with (matters of) the
exposed body parts as we cannot know what is in the heart, but Allaah تعالى
knows best. If you are willing to go (to the masjid) but you are afraid or
scared that something may happen to you, then stay at home and Allaah will
reward you, as the *Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم when he saw ‘Aishah, Hafsah
and Zainab start building their tents in the masjid he asked “what is
that?”. They said “these are tents of the mothers of the believers.” He
said:*
آلبر أردن
*Do they want complete submission and the Pleasure of Allaah then let them
go home. And he stopped the i’tikaaf and they all went back home.*[6] So *
i’tikaaf* is in the masjid only but if that is not possible then there is no
*i’tikaaf*, you just stay at home and do your best. Also, as I said before *
i’tikaaf* can even be for part of the time i.e. you can do *i’tikaaf* for
one hour as many scholars say, you just intend to do *i’tikaaf* meaning you
stay in the masjid. You have the intention to stay there, not to meet anyone
or to have a rest, but to worship Allaah تعالى. If you do this with that
intention then Allaah تعالى will reward you. Wallaahu A’alam.

*Answered by: **Shaykh Mohammad al-Malki *

*Title of Lecture: Ramadaan 1427 = 2006*

*Date of the Lecture: **Saturday, October 14th, 2006*

*Listen to Lecture: **Click Here<http://www.albaseerah.org/audio/maaliki.htm>
*

*Read the Transcribed Lecture: **Click
Here*<http://www.albaseerah.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4377>

[1] Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله says Saheeh in Saheeh al-Jaami` (#4423).

[2] Reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Eemaan (#37) and Saheeh
Muslim, Kitaab Salaah al-Musaafireen wa Qasruhaa (#759)

[3] Reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Kitaab as-Sawm as part of a longer
hadith (#1802).

[4] Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله says Saheeh in Saheeh al-Jaami` (#2417) with
the following wording:

إنه من قام مع الإمام حتى ينصرف كتب له قيام ليلة

[5] Reported in Sunan Abi-Daawūd 1/155, Kitaab as-Salaah (#567). Shaykh
al-Albaani رحمه الله says Saheeh in Saheeh al-Jaami` (#7458).

[6] Reported with the following wording in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Kitaab
al-I`tikaaf (#1940).

أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم ذكر أن يعتكف العشر الأواخر من رمضان،
فاستأذنته عائشة فأذن لها، وسألت حفصة عائشة أن تستأذن لها ففعلت، فلما رأت ذلك
زينب بنت جحش أمرت ببناء فبني لها، قالت: وكان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم
إذا صلى انصرف إلى بنائه، فبصر بالأبنية، فقال: (ما هذا). قالوا: بناء عائشة
وحفصة وزينب، فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: (آلبر أردن بهذا؟ ما أنا
بمعتكف). فرجع، فلما أفطر اعتكف عشرا من شوال

This Question is also listed under PRAYER

--
Masjid Ahlul-Quraan wa As-Sunnah of New york
http://www.seekknowledge.org