Stroke Made Easy
Broadcast 35
6th March 20110

For the longest time I thought stroke was a fancier name for a heart attack –
and I’m not guilty alone. Many other people are also confused because both are
caused by similar lifestyle factors.

So where does the difference lie?

Heart attacks are caused when the heart becomes starved for oxygen. And since
the heart is a vital organ that nourishes the entire body with oxygen-rich
nutrients, the consequences can be lethal. A stroke is similar, except that the
organ that gets damaged is the brain - again, a critical organ that controls
our
movements and balance, emotions, speech, planning, judgment, memory, etc.
WHAT exactly? (minus medical jargon!)

The BLOCK
One kind of stroke occurs when an artery supplying oxygen to a specific part of
the brain becomes blocked, depriving the brain cells of essential nutrients and
preventing the brain from doing its job. A temporary stroke of this kind occurs
when the artery is blocked for a short period of time and leads to numbness or
loss of balance. This is a warning sign to smarten up to the deadlier strokes!

The BURST
This kind of stroke occurs when the artery bursts, spilling blood into the
brain. This increases the pressure of blood in the brain, thereby destroying
surrounding brain cells.

HOW do you know a person is having a stroke?
Symptoms of stroke might include the following:
        * They might have slurred speech e.g "I am sssurrrre of it" or have
difficulty
finding words.

        * When you ask them to smile, one side of the face droops.
        * If asked to raise their arms, one arm will involuntarily drop down.
WHEN can it occur?
Chances are increased if you:
        * Have high blood pressure - can lead to a burst artery
        * Smoke - reduces oxygen in the blood, increases blood pressure and the
chances
of a stroke

        * Have high cholesterol
        * Are diabetic
        * Follow a poor diet and exercise routine

Strokes can leave people with disabilities e.g. cognitive (memory, judgement,
reasoning) deficits, speech problems, emotional difficulties, daily living
problems (walking, eating, dressing), and pain. The deadliest stroke can leave
person paralyzed on one side of the body. So the consequences of a stroke
aren’t
very pretty. Maintaining our health is in our very own hands. If we act now, we
can assure ourselves of a life free of dependency and disease.