From: Bernie Baymiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Coffee can oven

Bud,

Here's an old post from GS Tech dept. to DT with a table that might interest
you:

"Date: 10-DEC-99
Author: Golfsmith Technical Dept. (Golfsmith)
Subject: Re: Re: Epoxy and cold weather

"Dave:
"Here is some information we obtained from the our epoxy supplier. "All room
temperature (ambient) cured epoxies can be accelerated by moderate heat
(66C-82C) to speed the reaction between the epoxy resin and hardener.
However, curing these systems at very high temperatures may adversely effect
bond strength because of the following:

  a.. The heat from the reaction exotherm combined with the externally
supplied heat may char the epoxy system or cause outgassing and bubble
formation, resulting in poor strength.
  b.. Premature system gelation or interlocking of molecules restricts
mobility of the molecules within the matrix and may result in an incomplete
reaction.
"On the other hand, most room-temperature, cured epoxy systems give better
bond strength at moderate heat cure as compared to room-temperature cure.
This is because of the better "wetting" of the substrate because the surface
energy of the mixed epoxy is lower and the viscosity is lower." Our standard
24 hour shafting epoxy cures to a shear strength of 3500 PSI at 18 hours at
25 C. When the temperature is increased to 82C (180f) for one hour, the
strength is 3650 psi. At 66C (150f) for two hours the strength is increased
to 3800psi.

"As a table (DMT added): Temp*C Temp*F Cure Time Shear Strength
      25 77 18 hr 3500 psi
      66 150 2 hr 3800 psi
      82 180 1 hr 3650 psi

I hope this helps.