Hi Reed:
If you are from GE, then were you trained as a Six Sigma Black Belt or Six
Sigma Green Belt?  Just curious if you went through the formal training.  I
applaud your desire to "look at a number of attributes at the same time and
lets you distinguish between each of them".  These advanced statistical
technique are not widely known when people seek out experimental design to
advance knowledge gained.  I trained both of my sons on how to do these DOE
type of experiments when they where in grade 7-8.  Refer to following web
site links:
www.asq.org/pub/qualityprogress/past/1101/news.html or www.Golf54.com
"Press", then "Quality Progress, Nov. 2001" for the same article.
Refer to the article below, that describes the difference between OFAT and
DOE type of experiments:  Reed, you are definitely on the right track with
your test strategy for improvement.  If you are from GE, then you might
consider partnering with one of the golfing  Black Belts to design the
experiments then data crunch.  Reed, this stuff is real powerful, so you may
be surprised by what you learn!
Thanks HarryS (Director of Quality, ASQ trained Six Sigma Black Belt)

BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON DOE / TAGUCHI METHODS®

Design of Experiments (DOE)
·       Design of Experiments is the simultaneous study of several variables
(causes / input factors).
·       Typical one-factor-at-a-time (OFAT) experiment limits knowledge generation
and wastes time.
·       By combining several variables in one study, instead of creating a
separate study for each, the amount of testing is dramatically reduced and
the experiment yields greater knowledge.
·       The major disadvantage of the one-factor-at-a-time strategy is that it
fails to consider any possible interaction between the factors.  An
interaction example is two medications, each of which is good for a patient,
but when both are taken together yields a new strong side effect.
·       Design of Experiments is a valuable tool for gaining knowledge through
experimentation, since it is possible to extract large amounts of knowledge
in a matrix, from a small fraction of data.

Taguchi Methods® Robust Engineering
·       Robust Engineering is the creation of world-renowned engineering genius
Dr. Genichi Taguchi.
·       Dr. Taguchi defines “robustness” as, “the state where the technology,
product, or process performance is minimally sensitive to factors causing
variability and ageing at lowest unit cost.
·       Dr. Taguchi specifies the use of a S/N Ratio (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) to
measure robustness. Parameter Design and Control Factors are used to
optimize process / product for robustness.

NASA Case Study
·       Jet Propulsion Laboratory, NASA and California Institute of Technology,
USA applied Taguchi Methods® to the qualification and optimization of NASA
flight NiCd rechargeable batteries.
·       In recent years, several spacecraft NiCd battery anomalies occurred that
drastically affected spacecraft life.  There were many variables and levels
of each variable that affects reliability.
·       Using conventional experimenting techniques of studying one variable at a
time, this study at NASA would have taken 11.2 years to complete.  Using a
modified L16 Taguchi Array, a total of five Input Factors at four levels
each were studied.  Testing was reduced to several months.
·       The application of Taguchi Methods® at NASA resulted in improved battery
voltage performance by 96%.

COPYRIGHT © 2001 - 2002 BY HARRY F. SCHIESTEL (www.Golf54.com).  ALL RIGHTS
RESERVED.