Spine Positions? There is no such thing as Spines!
    Here's a blast from the past to prove it:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: New guys beware - was Spine Finding on Assembled Club

    To some of the newer folks, and those who are just starting to pay
attention to the spine discussion, take care when consuming the pro spine
data.  The definition, detection, and affects of spine orientation have been
discussed ad nauseam and those discussions can be found somewhere in the
archives, I think.  There is definitely a large and intelligent group of
folks, however, that disagree or doubt that the affects of spines are, as
has been described over the past few weeks here.

    Let me very very briefly describe what most all of us do agree on.
First of all, spine is a misnomer except possibly in steel shafts.  The
comparison of a shaft spine to say, the human spine, is totally misleading.
A shaft spine is a manufacturing flaw that can be detected by bowing the
shaft and rotating it.  The flaws can be caused by scores of things.  The
most notable are, shafts that are ever so slightly out of round, almost
anywhere on the shaft, and shafts with inconsistent wall thickness'.  The
latter being caused by many things, from pre preg flag overlaps, to off
center grinding.  All of these factors can give a detectable "spine"
indication.
    Most also agree that there is probably many of these spots on a shaft
that would each qualify as a "spine", some being directly detectable and
some not.  Some say that the major "spine" that is detected is a
mathematical collection???  of all of them put together.  Please note that
as we get further away from the basics, opinions also start to differ.
Another area of general agreement is, if there is such a thing as a "spine"
and it is detectable, for no other reason than consistency, we say you may
want to align them.  With graphite shafts with decals, cosmetics becomes a
factor.
With steel, "spining" should be of no negative consequence.  Many also agree
they can feel a difference.

    Now let me point out where many of us part from our "spiner" brothers
and sisters.
There has only been minimal scientific studying of this effect and the jury
is far from in on the results.  A recent, not so blind, study on feel was
minimal in confirming a difference.  Some initial testing on an Iron Byron
did indicate the possibility of minor affects of "spine" alignment, but at
this point in time, they are not near ready to make any statements on the
pro's and con's of alignment.  The one and only reason I break with my
promise to myself, to stay out of the fray is, I have seen some discussion
where folks not only are discussing that spines have a definite affect on
ball flight, but also are now discussing how various positions of the
"spine" can make or inhibit slices and hooks.  Folks, I have not seen nor
heard of any empirical data to confirm this.  So as you read all the
discussions on "spining", both pro and con, take it with a grain of salt.
The pro spiners are respected and their opinions are listened to, and they
MAY be correct in the end, but at this point, I and many others are very
skeptical and are taking a wait and see attitude.  Of course, that's only my
opinion.  I could be wrong.  ;-)
Al