Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  Originally I just liked the look of the SE TC-01's but in comparison with the Chicago 944c's, I do not like the way they play.  I find I chunk more with it, I never thought "bermuda grind" meant much other than a marketing catch phrase but the leading edges of the 944c's seemed to cut through better for me.  Cannot explain it much more than that.

You have an interesting concept using wedges as demo clubs but I must say I do not agree that it is a good representative club for a demo purpose.  I agree that 5 iron isn't necessarily either, 7 or 8 may be ideal because it's generally easier to hit.  I am building 5iron demos using Tour Cavity heads that I bought for demos when I started a few years ago.  If I didn't already have those sitting around, I might have bought a 7 iron or 2 instead.  But, 5 iron it will be for me.

I intend to build a club with the TC head and each shaft so I can hit them all in a sitting and then once I get a feel for the shaft, I will re-shaft with a head I like such at Tom's forged head that is coming or a 944c that I still have kicking around.  That being said though, now that I think about it, I actually may not reshaft because I don't have a puller.  I will have to find someone to pull them for me first... drag!

Good point re: the Golfsmith shafts, I never thought of that but will next time.

Jen

Dr. Voo wrote:
Jen,

Since you are a GS SE fan, something must have looked good with that iron at
first.  I think you might also look at the new FMC-1 or the new QuickStrike
MS heads.  I got a 53* SW and 58* LW in the FMC-1 and they  really looks
good, and is form forged, making it feel better and is more reasonable in
price.  The QuickStrike MS heads have a nice concept in that they are
different metals (17-4 in 3-5, 431 in 6-7 and 304 in 8-LW) and have
different appearance for each group, and the 8-LW have traditional blade top
lines.  I finally decided to buy only LW or GW demos, then if someone is
interested, I get 5 irons or whatever they think would best give them a good
indication of the rest of the set if they are really interested and will
take that demo club as part of the set.  That way, I don't have a bunch of 5
irons that are good for nothing but desk sets.  I can at least sell a GW or
LW for something. reasonable and get my money back.  Also the demo of a 5
iron is highly overrated, because how many times do you use that club on the
course in the playing of a normal round....2 or three times.  How many times
do you play a gap or add wedge and a lob wedge.  Probably 10 to 15 times,
depending on how many times you hit the rest of your clubs on the green or
your "New SUPER" Driver gets you close enough for second shots with these
clubs!!

Also if you are testing shafts and you like the GS branded shafts then use
the GS clubmaker Shaft Demo Program where you can buy 1 to 5 shafts at 40%
off.   The new SE Fujikura are included in this offer as well as the SE
ProLite woods.  The demo program is that you can buy 1-5 different shafts of
different flex 1 time a year.  The details are on page 132 of the new
catalog.  I talked to Golfworks last year and asked why they did not have
that as well, because they also have a clubhead demo program.  I believe
they now have it in effect and similar to the GS program one to five branded
shafts one purchase per year and at 50% off regular price.  Their branded
shaft range is not as extensive as GS, but they do have the CER shafts that
are made by Rapport and are really nice and reasonably priced.

That is what club fitting is about, the endless search......and the fun of
getting something that really works for your customers or yourself.

Dr. Voo
RxGolf Custom Clubs