That is very true Frank, In fact I gave one away, I had to have one when I lived in the Detroit area because I had a Bridgeport.   But I figure now WHY bother when I can get the machine I want with the equipment on it that I need Why got to the bother of a phase converter???    Plus with a phase converter you lose about, now I reading direct from the instruction sheet that comes with the unit,  from 10% on small 1 to 2.5 HP motors up to 25% on larger motors.    So with a total  HP of the total of all of my machinery it comes to 10 HP so I would be getting only around 7.5 HP if I had all of my machinery running at the same time.   No thanks guys when I can get the same HP motor for the price why bother.   Just as a side note to the phase converter it must be running at all times for it to do it's thing, supply 220 volts 3 phase.   So not only are you having to run it at all times, boosting up you monthly electric bill, I think that Santee Cooper already get enough of my money as it is,  you have the constant noise that is put out from the converter .

Just something to think about.

RK

-------Original Message-------

Date: Sunday, August 24, 2003 12:26:35 PM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Stuff you need?

In a message dated 8/23/2003 6:51:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Not a  bad price if it truly is in the condition that he says it's in .    The only reason I would not buy it is because it's 220 volts 3 phase.  Can't do 3 phase
All of my machines are single phase.

RK

You can purchase a phase converter. My friend has a machine shop and that's what he uses. The small unit that he used on his lathe was good for 5 HP and cost less than  $100.
                                              Frank

Kennedy
                golf-equipment
manufacturer's of world class club repair tooling