Don't forget that Golfsmith has their Carbon Stick iron shafts on sale for $5.88 each. They have been recommended on this list in the past and seem OK to me.

L. Hunter Kevil
-----Original Message-----
From: George Huson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 4:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Again

Bernie,
I  need to build a low cost set of irons for travel. I was going to order the apache mfs 30+, this powerflex sounds too good to be true.  I normally play the R-1 in Apache's old spec's. how do you think this shaft will play without soft stepping it.
George Huson

Bernie Baymiller wrote:
Don,

SK Fiber makes very good shafts, though I haven't tried the Tri-Tec. I use the Pure Energy A for most of my long drivers. Here's an iron shaft option, if you want to experiment...

I found an inexpensive graphite shaft which seems to play as well as my old $15 Apache PM-30i A-2 shafts. It's a Hireko proprietary filament wound Powerflex FW-501 combo R/S iron shaft (I'm using the R softstepped one club with a 3/8" slope), spec'd at 88 grams, but is actually 81-82 grams (same weight as my Apaches), torque 3.0...about where I like it. Consistency shaft-to-shaft was quite good on my NF2, with a spread of only .023" for ten shafts, all readings taken on the NBP...or a little less than 5 cpm, I think. Seven of the shafts has spines less than 2 cpm and the other three were .013", .015" and .016", or a little less than 3 to a hair more than 3 cpm. Cost is $6.30 each/10 shaft quantity. Tip sensitivity was .026"/inch, or about 5 cpm. These shafts have a profile that feels a little heavier than many graphites the same weight...which is a feature I like because it stabilizes my swing on the short irons. Impact feels very solid and shaft action is smooth. Played three rounds with them and had three straight 77s...if I could putt, they would have been 74s or less. :-)

Used Pro Perimeter heads ($6.95) with these shafts, very clean looking cavity backs with low offset, and used Hireko's Soft Tread grips ($1, like a Softee). Swingweight across the assembled 3-PW set was D2.9 to D3.5, or .6 of a point spread (except for SW at D4.7, which I wanted heavier). Also, tried the NBP-COG alignment, which seems to result in a very straight ball flight (though most of these shafts really didn't need any particular alignment). Club length is standard graphite lengths. Component cost about $15 a club. Time will tell, but these might be my "cheapo" iron success of the year.

Bernie