Dave:
First trip over there was 1989 because Apollo and their then head of
R&D, Graeme Horwood, who now heads up R&D for TT, had agreed to let me
use what at that time was state-of-the-art shaft testing equipment for
doing the beginning of the work that resulted in that shaft book which
was finished in 1991. Back then they had the best management team I
think has ever been assembled in a golf company because they were all
smart, hard-working as heck, but knew how to have fun and not take
themselves too seriously in the process.  Second trip over was when I
had the chance to really "get inside" the mfg process.  That's when I
had the chance to go visit their seamless tubing supplier and still to
this day, I believe that it was the single most fascinating trip to a
production facility that I have ever made.  The start of the seamless
tubing process involved piercing a hole down the length of a 12"
diameter x 5 foot long "log" of steel.  It was one of those processes
that when you see it done, you literally cannot believe what was just
accomplished.  I bet I stood there over the piercing station for an hour
watching this ram with a bullet shaped end push its way through
orange/white hot log after log.  And the part that really was amazing
was that since this was piercing and not drilling, once the hole was
pushed through, the original 5' long log "grew" to about 8 feet long
because that material being pushed out of the way to form the hole had
to go somewhere!!  It was like, "wait a minute, wasn't that thing a lot
shorter when it started?"  It was amazing, truly amazing.  I know I
literally drove the company's associate nuts who was assigned to keep me
under reins that day by not wanting to leave!!

TOM