This is what I thought might be my point of confusion.  I was just trying
to sole by the middle of the length of the face, not looking at the
parallel-ness (that isn't a word) of the scorelines.

Cub - I do have it on a flat work bench.

I know I'm making it difficult, but I'd just hate the idea of being off
1/4".  I was comparing my clubs to the lengths of OEM clubs in the course
pro shop and was noticing across the board that mine were short by over
the grip cap length.  I did verify the lengths of the OEM clubs.  Also, a
buddy uses a 48" ruler bolted to the table and a door hinge mechanism for
the flange, and his always seemed to be 1/4" longer than mine.  He set his
up by comparing the ruler down the shaft method to his homemade method.

Where this all started was I was trying to determine (before receiving new
heads and removing old heads) whether I could use current shafts in new
heads.   I knew the hosels were different lengths, just by looking, and
the bore depths were different.  Trying to determine the bottom bore to
ground distance is where the discrepancy started appearing.  I wanted to
know, ahead of time, if I was going to have to order a new shaft or two.

And Lord knows, I can't stand anyone's being a quarter in longer than
mine!  ;-)

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

-Andy