plenty of wet sand for sale in Fl now

Mark A Patton
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of tflan
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 2:02 PM
To: Shoptalk
Subject: ShopTalk: Suckers

Once again I delve into the P.T. Barnum world of golf. I played yesterday with a couple of guys who were using tees that resembled toothbrushes . . . toothbrushes! They claimed that the ball "really jumped" off the brush. Much, much longer and straighter that from a regular wooden tee. The reason? Less resistance. They, and the manufacturer, actually claim that the brush doesn't slow the clubhead as much as does a skinny little wooden peg. Can you imagine?

So today, I did a search, looking for more "game improvement tees." I found one that's a candidate for the best advertising campaign in golfdom . . . "The Perfect Tee". This is a tee that looks like a clothespin. It's about 2 1/2" tall, yellow (also white), has two legs, the top is cupped and there's a hole in the center of the cupped portion. There are 3 rubber "O" rings at the top. The tee is plastic. The documentation/instruction sheet claims the following; the bottom of the legs can be used to scrape out the grooves in clubs. The tee can be used as a divot tool and this is made easier because of the comfortable grip afforded by use of the "O" rings. The "O"rings protect the clubface from scratches. If the tee is ever broken in use it will be replaced, no charge. Simply return it to the factory, along with $2.00 to cover shipping and handling. Prices for a package of 2 long and one short tees vary from $9.95 to as high as $12.00 plus shipping. Each package comes complete with an instruction sheet. Fabulous!

I found the brush tees at Roger Dunn for $5.95 for a package of 3. Seems like a helluva deal. I also found some tees that resembled a launch pad. They are plastic, "Z" shaped, with a flat platform upon which the ball is placed. The ad claims zero resistance to the clubhead through the swing. And . . . I have a package of tees that are conventional in every respect except that there is a length of plastic attached, perpendicular to the vertical peg . . . an upside down letter "L". The attachment is designed to be aimed down the target path. Illegal as hell but they sold like crazy a few years ago.

Golfers and fishermen are in my opinion the biggest suckers for gimmicks in existence (except of course for botox'ers).

All this gets me to wondering . . . why not carry a small packaged of damp sand? Simply reach into the package for a pinch of sand, make a mound on the teeing surface, place the ball atop the mound and hit the ball? That's ecologically correct. There'd be virtually no clubhead resistance, and untold thousands of trees would be saved.

Or . . . has this been thought of already?

TFlan