Yes...and check out some old footage (even Shell's Wonderful World of Golf) of Hogan, Snead, etc...  It was not uncommon to see them belting out 280+ yd drives with small (I still call 'em traditional) persimmon heads on steel shafts.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Bernie, I meant the YEAR, 1955 not 55 year olds--I'm 60. Perhaps I should have used the YEAR, 1945? I stand in awe of the good golfers of that era-persimmon and forged muscle-backs with very little forgiveness yet they were scoring quite well--"Those guys were really good!" to borrow a line from the PGA.

Craig

>Who knows? If a golfer back in '55 saw the clubs folks are swinging today, he would think we are nuts--and perhaps we are??!!
'55? Hey, Craig, you're talking to more than a couple of '55ers on this forum. And, I'm sure wishing I had today's clubs back then. Might have even been able to give Billy Haverstick (LCC) a run for the PA state amateur on my home course shortly after that date. Just wasn't long enough with those old sticks on a long golf course at 136 pounds. :-) Billy beat Julie Boros' brother in the match play finals 1 up, I think...one of the best match play rounds I've ever seen on the #44 rated course in the country at that time.
Bernie
Writeto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]