Since it was easy to do I just ran Max Dupilka's Trajectory program for an 80-mph, 250-g club head at various lofts. The distances I got are as follows:

Loft     Distance (yards)
12          175
24          178
36          138
48          100

Reasonable numbers for lofts above 24*. It looks like it would take lighter heads (hence higher club head velocities) to get the distance back up with woods. The trajectory for the the 24*, 36*, and 48* lofts were comparably high. The 12* trajectory was about half the height. I did not play with the other parameters in Max's software (such as spin) that will influence true results.

Interesting, though.

Alan Brooks