Hi Ed,

There is a better than 50-50 chance (68-32 chance) that you will be within 6-meters. Keep in mind that the probability that the error is exactly 1.2-meters is zero. You can only talk about the probability of it being less (or greater) than some number. It is actually a little bit better than that (I think, I haven't touched probability theory in awhile) because the probability is that both errors aren't additive.

I don't think they have anything like WAAS at golf courses. The need for that level of accuracy isn't that great (at least until the PGA starts using it). At Poppy Ridge they came out and surveyed the course really well, and, yes, the major selling point is what it does for the golf course management. Because the computer knows where all the carts are on the course it monitors pace of play and they no longer have roving marshals, so they cut back on marshal staff (saves money to help pay for the gps). The jury is still out on that one. They have the system set up to disable 'forward' if someone drives the cart into the rough - they can only back out. It is working pretty well at Poppy Ridge, but they bought the same system for Poppy Hills (the other NCGA course) and all the trees make signal receipt worse and the carts sometimes shut down on the cart paths. Sigh.

Later.  Bedtime.

Alan